04-06-2021Top 5 superfoods for osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis that develops when the cartilage in the joints breaks down over time. The condition can affect any joint in the body, but people mostly get it in their knees, hands, hips or spine. The symptoms of osteoarthritis that include pain, stiffness, and swelling can be managed with certain types of nutritious foods that help to get them under control. Here’s 5 best foods that you can incorporate in your diet if you have osteoarthritis.
- 1. OilsSome oils can help reduce inflammation related to osteoarthritis. Extra virgin olive oil contains high levels of oleocanthal, which may have similar properties to anti-inflammatory medicines. Avocado and safflower oil are a few healthy options too and may also help to lower cholesterol which in turn can help improve the symptoms of this condition.
- 2. DairyMilk, yogurt and cheese are rich in calcium and vitamin D which help tremendously to increase bone strength, which may in turn improve painful symptoms. Apart from that, dairy products also contain proteins that can help to build muscles. You can also try low-fat options if you’re on a weight loss journey.
- 3. Dark Leafy GreensVitamin D is essential for calcium absorption and dark green leafy veggies like spinach and kale are abundant in Vitamin D and stress fighting phytochemicals and antioxidants.
- 4. GarlicScientists believe that a compound called diallyl disulfide that occurs in garlic may work against the enzymes in the body that cause damage to the cartilage.
- 5. NutsNuts are a rich source of calcium, magnesium, zinc, vitamin E and fiber that help improve the symptoms of osteoarthritis. Walnuts are especially high in omega 3 fatty acids, which have been shown to decrease the symptoms of arthritis.
Along with a healthy balanced diet you can also try Zandu Ortho Vedic Oil that is infused with the power of 100 natural ingredients that relieves 20 different kinds of orthopedic pains.